New cars are rarely released without an automatic transmission in their line-up.
While automotive purists prefer the freedom, control, and feel of a manual transmission, the majority of consumers lean towards the user-friendly, comfort-oriented automatic options.
In fact, this is the reason why many premium manufacturers no longer offer manual gearbox variants in their cars.
For example: The latest generation of the BMW 3-Series is only available with eight-speed automatic transmissions.
Vehicles fitted with these gearboxes typically have higher asking prices, too – as the cheapest passenger car in South Africa becomes R19,000 more expensive if you would like the automatic specification.
To see how much a vehicle with an automatic transmission sells for, we turned to TopAuto Car Prices to find the cheapest option in every major category.
These vehicles are divided into the segments below.
Suzuki S-Presso 1.0 GL+
- Price – R168,900
- Power – 50kW/90Nm
- Warranty – 3-year/100,000km warranty, 2-year/30,000km service plan, and AA roadside assistance.
Renault Kwid 1.0 Expression
- Price – R172,900
- Power – 50kW/91Nm
- Warranty – 5-year/150,000km mechanical warranty.
BAIC D20 1.5 Fashion
- Price – R209,990
- Power – 85kW/148Nm
- Warranty – 5-year/120,000km warranty, 3-year/45,000km service plan, and 5-year/unlimited kilometre roadside assistance.
Datsun Go+ 1.2 Lux
- Price – R220,500
- Power – 57kW/104Nm
- Warranty – 6-year/150,000km warranty.
JMC Landwind 5 2.0T Lux
- Price – R224,995
- Power – 140kW/250Nm
- Warranty – 3-year/100,000km warranty, 5-year/100,00km service plan, and 24-hour roadside assistance
Fiat 500C TwinAir Rockstar
- Price – R300,900
- Power – 63kW/145Nm
- Warranty – 3-year/100,000km warranty and service plan.
Double Cab Bakkie
Mahindra Pik Up 2.2CRDe S11
- Price – R389,999
- Power – 103kW/320Nm
- Warranty – 4-year/120,000km warranty, 5-year/90,000km service plan, and 4-year/120,000km roadside assistance.
Single Cab Bakkie
Ford Ranger 2.2TDCi Hi-Rider XL
- Price – R436,500
- Power – 118kW/385Nm
- Warranty – 4-year/120,000km warranty, 6-year/90,000km service plan, and 3-year/unlimited kilometre roadside assistance.
Extended Cab Bakkie
Isuzu D-Max 250 Extended Cab Hi-Ride
- Price – R440,600
- Power – 100kW/320Nm
- Warranty – 5-year/120,000km warranty, 5-year/90,000km service plan, and 5-year/120,000km roadside assistance.