Whether you’re looking for a bakkie, hatchback, SUV, or sedan – a R500,000 budget has you covered.
This is enough to buy a mid-range model from a respectable brand, such as the new Toyota Corolla Cross in its most expensive hybrid specification.
If the Toyota doesn’t do it for you, the Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross and Kia Seltos are also available in this price range.
The Subaru Forester, Mazda CX-5, and Renault Koleos are on offer, too – for those wanting a larger SUV.
Hatchbacks are equally abundant, with the VW Polo GTI and entry-level Audi A1 being the most premium cars to meet this price requirement.
Bakkies are plentiful, too, allowing you to pick between the Ford Ranger, GWM P-Series, Isuzu D-Max, and Nissan Navara in double-cab guise.
Detailed below are 15 new cars you can buy for R500,000 in South Africa.
Click on the underlined prices to visit TopAuto Car Prices for more information.
Toyota Corolla Cross 1.8 Hybrid XR
- Price – R448,300
- Power – 90kW/142Nm + e-torque
- Warranty – 3-year/100,000km warranty, 6-services/90,000km service plan, and an 8-year/195,000km battery warranty.
GWM P-Series 2.0TD Double Cab LS
- Price – R461,900
- Power – 120kW/400Nm
- Warranty – 5-year/100,000km warranty and a 3-year/40,000km service plan.
Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross 2.0 GLS
- Price – R469,995
- Power – 110kW/198Nm
- Warranty – 3-year/100,000km warranty, 5-year/90,000km service plan, and 5-year/unlimited kilometre roadside assistance.
Audi A1 Sportback 30TFSI S Line
- Price – R470,000
- Power – 85kW/200Nm
- Warranty – 5-year/100,000km Audi freeway plan.
Kia Seltos 1.5CRDi EX+
- Price – R474,995
- Power – 86kW/250Nm
- Warranty – 5-year/unlimited kilometre warranty, 5-year/90,000km service plan, and 5-year/unlimited kilometre roadside assistance.
Honda Civic Sedan 1.8 Elegance
- Price – R484,300
- Power – 104kW/174Nm
- Warranty – 5-year/200,000km warranty, 5-year/90,000km service plan, and 3-year/unlimited kilometre AA roadside assistance.
Subaru Forester 2.0i
- Price – R486,000
- Power – 115kW/196Nm
- Warranty – 5-year/150,000km warranty, 3-year/75,000km service plan, and Subaru Assist roadside assistance.
Hyundai Creta 1.5D Executive
- Price – R487,500
- Power – 84kW/250Nm
- Warranty – 5-year/150,000km manufacturer warranty with an additional 2-year/50,000km powertrain warranty, 4-year/60,000km service plan, and 7-year/150,000km roadside assistance.
VW Polo GTI
- Price – R489,400
- Power – 147kW/320Nm
- Warranty – 3-year/120,000km warranty and a 3-year/45,000km service plan.
Nissan Navara 2.5DDTi Double Cab SE
- Price – R489,900
- Power – 120kW/403Nm
- Warranty – 6-year/150,000km warranty and a 6-year/90,000km service plan.
Mazda CX-5 2.0 Active Auto
- Price – R492,900
- Power – 121kW/213Nm
- Warranty – 3-year/unlimited kilometre warranty, service plan, and roadside assistance.
Haval H6 2.0T 4WD Luxury
- Price – R494,900
- Power – 150kW/320Nm
- Warranty – 5-year/100,000km warranty and a 5-year/60,000km service plan.
Renault Koleos 2.5 Expression
- Price – R494,900
- Power – 126kW/233Nm
- Warranty – 5-year/150,000km warranty, 5-year/90,000km service plan, and 5-year/150,000km roadside assistance.
Ford Ranger 2.2TDCi Double Cab Hi-Rider XL Sport
- Price – R496,800
- Power – 118kW/385Nm
- Warranty – 4-year/120,000km warranty and 3-year/unlimited kilometre roadside assistance.
Isuzu D-Max 250 Double Cab Hi-Rider Auto
- Price – R500,000
- Power – 100kW/320Nm
- Warranty – 5-year/120,000km warranty, 5-year/90,000km service plan, and 5-year/120,000km roadside assistance.