The National Association of Automobile Manufacturers of South Africa (NAAMSA) has outlined the best-selling passenger vehicles in South Africa for 2020.
NAAMSA is the leading provider of trusted automotive data and represents the collective interests of 43 new vehicle brands in the country.
The list features the usual suspects, such as the Polo Vivo, but has some newcomers in the market that shot to the front of their segments short after release.
Looking at the data it is clear to see that the South African market prefers smaller cars, and that we have a wide variety on offer from several brands that will satisfy those needs.
A single manufacturer even managed to scoop up six of the top 10 spots, while the other four had to be shared.
The number of new vehicles that were sold in 2020 amounts to 380,206 units – with the highest-selling passenger vehicles contributing 41,189 units, roughly 11% of the total.
The 10 highest-selling passenger vehicles – excluding single or double-cab bakkies – in South Africa for 2020 are listed below.
10. Haval H1 1.5 VVT-i
Units sold – 2,202
9. VW Polo 1.0 TSI Comfortline 70kW 5-dr DSG
Units sold – 2,374
8. Ford Figo 1.5 Ambiente 5-dr
Units sold 2,483
7. Renault Kwid 1.0 Dynamique 5-dr
Units sold – 2,558
6. VW T-Cross 1.0 TSI Comfortline 85kW DSG
Units sold – 3,090
5. Hyundai i20 1.2 Motion 5-dr
Units sold – 3,712
4. VW Polo 1.0 TSI Trendline 70kW 5-dr
Units sold – 3,739
3. VW Polo 1.0 TSI Comfortline 70kW 5-dr
Units sold – 4,260
2. VW Polo Vivo 1.4 Comfortline 63kW 5-dr
Units sold – 5,997
1. VW Polo Vivo 1.4 Trendline 55kW 5-dr
Units sold – 10,774