Prices for both petrol and diesel will decrease on 5 May 2021, according to the official fuel price adjustments published by the Department of Energy.
Diesel shows the biggest decrease, followed by illuminating paraffin, and then petrol – as reported on by BusinessTech.
The detailed price adjustments for May are as follows:
- Petrol 95 – decrease of 9 cents per litre
- Petrol 93 – decrease of 9 cents per litre
- Diesel 0.05% – decrease of 31 cents per litre
- Diesel 0.005% – decrease of 30 cents per litre
- Illuminating Paraffin – decrease of 23 cents per litre
The decrease in prices was assisted by the strengthening of the rand against the US dollar, and the changes in international petroleum costs, stated the report.
“The rand appreciated against the US dollar during the period under review, on average, when compared to the previous period,” said the Department of Energy.
It added that international prices for diesel decreased as well, but that international prices for both petrol and illuminating paraffin increased.
Below are the adjusted inland prices for these fuel types, which will come into effect on 5 May 2021 in South Africa.
- Petrol 95 – R17.23
- Petrol 93 – R17.01
- Diesel 0.05% (wholesale) – R14.46
- Diesel 0.005% (wholesale) – R14.50
- Illuminating Paraffin – R8.57