The updated Range Rover Velar is now for sale in South Africa, and there are 19 models to choose from.
A new family of Ingenium petrol and diesel engines is available, along with a range-topping plug-in hybrid drivetrain.
Alongside the refreshed engine options, updates took place on both the inside and outside of the Velar – while a new Landmark Edition trim provides a “specially curated specification”.
Range Rover said the new Velar features a “reductive design”, thanks to the simplicity of the cabin and the touch-display-focussed Pivi infotainment system.
The Pivi displays function as hubs for controlling the SUV’s features, meaning there are few physical buttons to press.
The Pivi system has also been redesigned with a new electrical architecture, assuring fast responsiveness and fluid interactions.
Spotify is integrated for online music streaming, too, and Bluetooth along with an embedded SIM allows access to maps, apps, and over-the-air software updates.
Additional new elements include an updated multifunction steering wheel with smart buttons, and a new drive selector.
Active noise cancellation is also improved across the range, while a new cabin air filtration system “enhances the relaxing and clean sanctuary inside”, said Range Rover.
Parking the Velar is then made easier by the standard fitment of a 3D surround camera and ClearSight Ground View – which projects an outside view of the SUV onto the 10-inch central infotainment screen.
In terms of safety, the Range Rover Velar features a 5-star Euro NCAP safety rating.
The new Velar is powered by a family of six-cylinder petrol and diesel engines, efficient four-cylinder petrol and diesel motors, and a 2.0-litre petrol-hybrid drivetrain.
- The P340 is fitted with a 3.0-litre, six-cylinder petrol engine. 250kW and 480Nm. 0-100km/h in 6.3 seconds.
- The P250 comes with a 2.0-litre, four-cylinder petrol engine. 184kW and 365Nm. 7.8l/100km consumption.
- The D300 gets a 3.0-litre, six-cylinder diesel motor. 221kW and 650Nm. 0-100km/h in 6.5 seconds.
- The D200 sports a 2.0-litre, four-cylinder diesel engine. 147kW and 430Nm. Consumption of 6.3l/100km.
- The plug-in hybrid P400e gets a 2.0-litre, four-cylinder petrol engine and a 105kW electric motor. 297kW and 640Nm. 0-100km/h in 5.4 seconds.
Range Rover added that the hybrid drivetrain provides an electric-only range of up to 61km, and has a fuel economy of as low as 2.3l/100km.
The hybrid model can then be charged in three modes, with 80% charge reached in 30 minutes when using a 32kW fast charger.
With a 7kW wall box, 80% can be achieved within an hour and 40 minutes. A standard house plug provides 80% in five hours and 29 minutes.
“This ensures the Range Rover Velar P400e is capable of overnight battery top-ups using just a three-prong domestic plug socket,” said the company.
All Velar models send drive to all four wheels via an eight-speed automatic transmission.
A Velar Landmark Edition has also been added to the mix, and provides “more customer choice and features a combination of exterior and interior upgrades”.
The trim is based on the R-Dynamic SE specification and adds a black contrast roof and 20-inch black alloy wheels as standard.
This model is available in four colours: Hakuba Silver, Santorini Black, Eiger Grey, and Lantau Bronze.
Every engine option except for the hybrid variant will also be available in the Landmark Edition.
South African pricing for the new Range Rover Velar is as follows:
- Range Rover Velar D200 S – R1,290,100
- Range Rover Velar D300 S – R1,458,600
- Range Rover Velar P250 S – R1,290,100
- Range Rover Velar P340 S – R1,438,700
- Range Rover Velar P400e S – R1,651,200
- Range Rover Velar D200 R-Dynamic SE – R1,382,900
- Range Rover Velar D300 R-Dynamic SE – R1,551,300
- Range Rover Velar P250 R-Dynamic SE – R1,382,900
- Range Rover Velar P340 R-Dynamic SE – R1,531,500
- Range Rover Velar P400e R-Dynamic SE – R1,739,100
- Range Rover Velar D200 R-Dynamic HSE – R1,492,000
- Range Rover Velar D300 R-Dynamic HSE – R1,631,000
- Range Rover Velar P250 R-Dynamic HSE – R1,492,000
- Range Rover Velar P340 R-Dynamic HSE – R1,611,200
- Range Rover Velar P400e R-Dynamic HSE – R1,834,000
- Range Rover Velar D200 Landmark Edition – R1,428,200
- Range Rover Velar D300 Landmark Edition – R1,596,600
- Range Rover Velar P250 Landmark Edition – R1,428,200
- Range Rover Velar P340 Landmark Edition – R1,576,800
All models are sold with a 5-year/100,000km Land Rover Care Plan.