The three-door body style of the new Land Rover Defender is now for sale in South Africa.
“Available in South Africa now, the Defender 90 is the most capable and connected Land Rover to date,” said the company.
At launch, one of four trim lines can be selected – S, X-Dynamic, First Edition, and X – each sold with a choice of four engine options.
As the entry-level model, the Defender S sets the benchmark for standard features across the range.
It comes with:
- Keyless entry
- Wade sensing
- Lane keep assist
- Emergency braking
- Terrain response system
- Driver condition monitor
- Interactive driver display
- Grained leather upholstery
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Pivi Pro 10-inch infotainment display
- LED headlights with high-beam assist
- 360-degree camera and parking sensors
The Pivi Pro infotainment system features an intuitive interface and its own backup battery for always-on responses, said the company, along with software-over-the-air updates.
“Configurable Terrain Response allows drivers to set up the vehicle to suit precise off-road conditions and surfaces when adventuring,” added Land Rover.
The Terrain Response 2 system on the range-topping variants then allow the Defender 90 to wade into water up to a depth of 900mm.
Across the whole line-up, the new Defender also achieves a 5-star Euro NCAP safety rating.
“The X-Dynamic model bridges the gap between Defender [S] and Defender X with a tough exterior look and unique interior fittings,” said the company.
To achieve this, the X-Dynamic gets Narvik Black exterior claddings with Silicon Satin skid pans, along with Robustec material on the seat ribbons and console finishers.
“Robustec is a protective and hard-wearing material inspired by textiles used in extreme outdoor activities, and is used inside the Defender on areas that are subject to heightened wear.”
This will be available on both the SE and HSE specification packs.
On the range-topping Defender 90 X, you will get a gloss black contrast hood and exterior claddings as standard, a Starlight Satin finish on several exterior body bits, and orange brake calipers.
It’s also fitted with air suspension, an electronic active rear differential, a configurable Terrain Response 2 system, a sliding panoramic roof, matrix LED headlights, 14-way heated and cooled front seats, a heads-up display, and the ClearSight rear-view mirror that displays a feed from the reverse camera.
Defender First Edition
The First Edition is available for one year from launch, and is available in Pangea Green, Gondwana Stone, or Hakuba Silver – with a folding fabric sunroof incorporated in the contrast white roof.
“Standard fare includes air suspension, 12-way heated seats, an electrically-adjustable steering column, ClearSight rear-view mirror, and 20-inch alloys,” said Land Rover.
Each customer can also customise their Defender 90 with one of four accessory packs – Explorer, Adventure, Country, and Urban.
This sees features such as side-mounted carriers, portable rinse systems, and brightly-coloured scuff plates on offer.
The new Land Rover Defender 90 line-up is available with two petrol and two diesel engines, with an eight-speed automatic transmission sending power to all four wheels in all models.
The performance figures for the various engines are detailed below:
- D240 – 2.0-litre turbo-diesel, 177kW/430Nm, 0-100km/h in 9.0 seconds, top speed 188km/h.
- D300 – 3.0-litre turbo-diesel, 221kW/650Nm, 0-100km/h in 6.7 seconds, top speed 191km/h.
- P300 – 2.0-litre turbo-petrol, 221kW/400Nm, 0-100km/h in 7.1 seconds, top speed 191km/h.
- P400 – 3.0-litre turbo-petrol with mild hybrid technologies, 294kW/550Nm, 0-100km/h in 6.0 seconds, top speed 191km/h.
The South African pricing and model line-up for the new Land Rover Defender 90 is as follows:
- Defender 90 D240 S – R1,095,600
- Defender 90 D300 S – R1,186,800
- Defender 90 P300 S – R1,095,600
- Defender 90 P400 S – R1,214,200
- Defender 90 D240 X-Dynamic SE – R1,215,500
- Defender 90 D300 X-Dynamic SE – R1,297,000
- Defender 90 P300 X-Dynamic SE – R1,215,500
- Defender 90 P400 X-Dynamic SE – R1,338,600
- Defender 90 D240 X-Dynamic HSE – R1,284,400
- Defender 90 D300 X-Dynamic HSE – R1,365,900
- Defender 90 P300 X-Dynamic HSE – R1,284,400
- Defender 90 P400 X-Dynamic HSE – R1,407,500
- Defender 90 D240 First Edition – R1,223,800
- Defender 90 P400 First Edition – R1,341,700
- Defender 90 D300 X – R1,542,100
- Defender 90 P400 X – R1,575,000
All models are sold with a 5-year/100,000km Land Rover Care Plan.