WeBuyCars has compiled a list of South Africa’s most fuel-efficient used vehicles after seeing a huge uptick in searches for cars that are light on fuel.
With petrol prices continually on the rise in South Africa, motorists are searching for ways to cut down on those costly trips to the pump.
“The frequency of fuel price increases are a real pain-point for consumers, and although we currently have little control over the situation, people may be able to better manage monthly budgeting by driving a fuel-efficient vehicle and there are many to consider across several vehicle categories,” says Rikus Blomerus, GM Marketing at WeBuyCars.
The most recent reports suggest an increase of up to R2.03 is expected for July, putting the inland price for Petrol 95 at R26.20.
Most economical cars
According to WeBuyCars, a car is considered to have good fuel efficiency if it can do under 8.0l/100km.
A vehicle with an average consumption will manage anywhere from 8.0l/100km to 12.0l/100km, and anything doing more than 12 litres per 100km is considered to be poor.
“Ultimately, it all comes down to finding the balance between your own unique vehicle needs and the most fuel-efficient companion,” said Blomerus.
“A fuel-efficient hatchback might not fit your current lifestyle, leading you to rather consider a fuel-efficient SUV or bakkie.”
According to WeBuyCars, the vehicles below are the most fuel-efficient used cars for their respective body styles in South Africa.
- Ford Ranger 2.2 DCI Double Cab – 6.5l/100km
- Mitsubishi Triton – 6.7l/100km
- Nissan Navara – 6.8l/100km
- Toyota Hilux 2.4GD-6 Double Cab – 7.1l/100km
- Isuzu D-Max 250 Double Cab – 7.7l/100km
- Toyota Aygo 1.0 – 4.3l/100km
- Renault Kwid Dynamique Automatic – 4.4l/100km
- Volkswagen Polo Vivo 1.0TSI GT – 4.6l/100km
- Kia Picanto 1.0L – 5.1l/100km
- BMW X3 20D – 5.4l/100km
- Ford EcoSport 1.5 TDCi Ambiente – 4.6l/100km
- Renault Duster 1.5dCi Zen Automatic – 4.8l/100km
- Volkswagen T-Cross 1.0TSi 70kW Comfortline – 4.8l/100km
- Kia Seltos 1.5 CRDi EX – 5.1l/100km
- Suzuki Ignis 1.2 GL – 5.1l/100km