The third generation of the Audi A5 and S5 has arrived, now featuring a new look and cutting-edge improvements.
Sporty aesthetics and integrated connectivity functions as standard embody the new range, offering a better experience for customers and adding to Audi’s overall value proposition.
The most noticeable upgrade on the range is the new honeycomb grille that is wider than previous generations.
Ventilation slits above, a new bottom slit, and larger air inlets frame the updated grille and gives the A5 and S5 a distinctive look from the front.
Along with a new side sill and rear diffuser that features trapezoidal tailpipes, the Audi A5 and S5 offer a notable update from the previous generations when viewed from the outside.
Three different body styles will be available from launch – Sportback, Coupé, and Cabriolet – with every model equipped with Matrix LED headlights and LED rear lights featuring dynamic turn signals.
Available in 12 exterior paint finishes, the exterior design options include standard and S line, with every style offering unique features to set it apart.
The standard offering features:
- 17-inch aluminium wheels
- Door sills with aluminium inserts
- Black matte radiator grille with a chrome frame
- Black matte grained side air intakes and rear diffuser
- Tailpipe trims in aluminium silver matte
- Bar tailgate in chrome
The S line models will be differentiated through these additions:
- 18-inch cast aluminium wheels
- Front sills with aluminium inserts, illuminated and with S lettering
- S line emblem on front fenders
- Widened side skirts
- Sports suspension
- S line specific radiator grille in titanium black and chrome framed
- Side air inlets in matt black grained with matt aluminium silver
- S line specific rear diffuser in titanium black matt
- Rear trim in aluminium silver matt
- Bar tailgate in chrome
The top-spec S models come with a unique look which includes:
- 19-inch S style wheels
- Red brake calipers
- Exterior mirror housings in aluminium
- Larger rear spoiler
- S model bumpers
- S sports suspension
On the inside, every A5 and S5 will receive the Audi connect system, as well as standard leather/leatherette seats that are available in five shades.
Regardless of the chosen exterior package, every model can now be specified with the S line interior package. This optional package adds sports seats with fine Nappa leather and S embossing at an additional cost.
The focal point of the internal upgrades on the new A5 and S5 is then the large MMI touch display.
This 10.1-inch touch display offers plenty of features and acts as a replacement to the rotary push-button system used in previous models.
Features include better graphics and a new user interface structure that “reflects the expectations of the user”, adds Audi.
The system is then controlled through free text inputs, or natural-language voice controls that understand many formulations of everyday speech.
As standard, all models will receive Audi connect, which enables online connectivity to Audi’s roadside assistance and emergency services, and triggers an automatic prompt to the registered Audi dealer when the car is due for a service.
As part of an optional technology package, Audi connect offers real-time information for navigation and infotainment, as well as live information around points of interest, traffic information, and weather updates.
Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capability then enables smartphone connectivity in the new A5 and S5.
Another standard feature is the Audi virtual cockpit plus, which enables the driver to control a 12.3-inch display via a multifunction steering wheel.
Additional optional extras include the Audi phone box and Bang & Olufsen premium sound system.
South Africa pricing
Audi A5 Coupé
- 40 TFSI 2-litre S tronic (140kW/320 Nm) – R751,000
- 40 TFSI S line 2-litre S tronic (140kW/320Nm) – R796,000
- 40 TDI quattro S line 2-litre S tronic (140kW/400Nm) – R836,000
- S5 TFSI quattro 3-litre tiptronic (260kW/500Nm) – R1,052,000
Audi A5 Sportback
- 40 TFSI S line 2-litre S tronic (140kW/320 Nm) – R811,000
- 40 TDI quattro S line 2-litre S tronic (140kW/400Nm) – R851,000
- S5 TFSI quattro 3-litre tiptronic (260kW/500Nm) – R1,067,000
Audi S5 Cabriolet
- S5 TFSI quattro 3-litre tiptronic (260kW/500Nm) – R1,152,000
Local packages coming to South Africa, aimed at reducing complexity when ordering new models, were constructed through a combination of customer preferences and options aimed at highlighting the different features on offer.
The packages are:
- Technology (MMI navigation plus with MMI touch; Audi connect full functionality; contour ambient lighting)
- Comfort (electric front seats; seat heaters; rear view camera; storage package)
- Sport (flat bottomed multi-function steering wheel in 3-spoke design with shift paddles; sport seats; black lining)
The Audi A5 and S5 range is now available at all Audi dealerships and comes standard with a 5-year/100,000km Audi freeway plan.