Haval recently launched the Jolion, their new entry-level SUV that packs impressive features into a stylish body, and ties it up with an attractive price.
It is replacing the H2, one of the company’s best-selling SUVs in South Africa.
This is an important role to fill, but the Jolion seems, at least on paper, to be up to the task.
Throughout the range it offers a digital instrument cluster and an infotainment display on the dash.
The infotainment system supports Bluetooth connectivity and acts as a control centre for nearly every feature that is fitted to this vehicle.
The more expensive models are then treated to leather seats and premium dash inlays, while the cheaper variants retain the attractive overall design – but make do with cloth seats and a less-flashy look.
If you do opt for the pricey trim you will also get a wireless charging pad, dual-zone climate control, and dedicated rear aircon ducts in addition to three driving modes and three steering modes.
In terms of safety, every Jolion is kitted well as standard.
Across the range, the SUV is fitted with:
- Hill assist
- Cruise control
- ABS with EBD
- Stability control
- Traction control
- Dual front airbags
- Rear parking sensors
- Secondary collision mitigation
There is only one engine option in the range, too, which is a 1.5-litre, turbo-petrol motor that generates 105kW and 210Nm – and sends power to the front wheels.
This is mated to either a 6-speed manual transmission or a 7-speed DCT system, with combined fuel consumption rated at 7.5-litres/100km.
The Haval Jolion has a South African starting price of R299,900 – with the range-topping model coming in at R398,900.
This includes a 5-year/100,000km warranty and a 5-year/60,000km service plan.
The Haval H2, the Jolion’s older sibling, was competing against the best-selling SUVs in the country up until now.
Features and outputs are closely matched between these competitors, making price the biggest battlefield.
To see what’s on offer in the local market, we have listed the Jolion’s main competitors below.
The vehicles can be viewed in more detail on TopAuto Car Prices, the one-stop destination for new car prices and specifications in South Africa.
Toyota Urban Cruiser
- Starting price – R247,900
- Power – 77kW/138Nm
- Warranty – 3-year/100,000km warranty and a 3-services/45,000km service plan.
- Starting price – R256,999
- Power – 74kW/152-160Nm
- Warranty – 6-year/150,000km warranty and a 3-year/30,000km service plan.
- Starting price – R289,900
- Power – 66-84kW/156-250Nm
- Warranty – 5-year/150,000km mechanical warranty and a 3-year/45,000km service plan.
- Starting price – R292,000
- Power – 88kW/145Nm
- Warranty – 5-year/200,00km warranty, 4-year/60,000km service plan, and a 3-year/unlimited kilometre roadside assistance.
- Starting price – R303,400
- Power – 91-92kW/150-170Nm
- Warranty – 4-year/120,000km warranty, 3-year/unlimited kilometre roadside assistance, and a 4-year/60,000km service plan.
- Starting price – R310,900
- Power – 86-103kW/151-220Nm
- Warranty – 5-year/200,000km promotional warranty and a 4-year/60,000km service plan.
- Starting price – R311,900
- Power – 88kW/172Nm
- Warranty – 5-year/150,000km manufacturer warranty with an additional 2-year/50,000km powertrain warranty, 7-year/150,000km roadside assistance, and a 3-year/45,000km service plan.
- Starting price – R324,900
- Power – 55-81kW/118-205Nm
- Warranty – 3-year/120,000km warranty and a 3-year/60,000km service plan.
- Starting price – R326,999
- Power – 103kW/330Nm
- Warranty – 5-year/150,000km warranty and a 5-year/100,000km service plan.
- Starting price – R345,700
- Power – 70-110kW/175-250Nm
- Warranty – 3-year/120,000km warranty and a 3-year/45,000km service plan.
- Starting price – R346,700
- Power – 115kW/206Nm
- Warranty – 3-year/unlimited kilometre warranty, service plan, and roadside assistance.
- Starting price – R359,900
- Power – 74-96kW/205-230Nm
- Warranty – 5-year/100,000km warranty and a 3-year/60,000km service plan.
Citroen C3 Aircross
- Starting price – R376,900
- Power – 81kW/205Nm
- Warranty – 5-year/100,000km warranty and roadside assistance, and a 3-year/60,000km service plan
- Starting price – R389,569
- Power – 103kW/230Nm
- Warranty – 3-year/100,000km warranty and maintenance plan.
- Starting price – R399,900
- Power – 125-129kW/229-250Nm
- Warranty – 3-year/100,000km warranty and service plan.