Out of the 10 most popular vehicles in South Africa, the VW Polo Vivo holds its value the best.
To reach this conclusion, we compared the average pre-owned price in 2021 for the most-enquired-on vehicles on AutoTrader with the prices of these vehicles when they were new.
The newest models on the most-enquired-on list were selected, as this shows which vehicles South Africans are the most serious about buying.
What we found
The list below shows the top 10 most-enquired-on vehicles on AutoTrader for the first six months of 2021.
When compared to their new prices, we found that older vehicles from premium brands such as BMW and Mercedes-Benz are preferred amongst buyers.
Due to the age of the cars, though, the two BMWs on this list had an average depreciation of around 35%, while the Mercedes-Benz nearly matched this figure with 38.3%.
It is worth noting that the new generation of both these vehicles was recently launched, and this could have a large effect on the demand for older models.
High-performance cars like the VW Golf 7 GTI experienced more depreciation than the other models, but remain a popular choice.
Purpose-built vehicles from reputable brands like the Toyota Hilux and Ford Ranger then showed minimal loss of value over the years.
Our depreciation findings are listed below, ranked by most-enquired-on vehicles.
2021 Toyota Hilux 2.4GD-6 DC Raider
- Price when new – R520,500
- Average pre-owned price – R448,503
- Value lost – 13.8%
2020 Ford Ranger 2.0 DC Hi-Rider Wildtrak 4×4
- Price when new – R778,400
- Average pre-owned price – R691,530
- Value lost – 11.2%
2020 VW Polo 1.0TSI Comfortline
- Price when new – R324,600
- Average pre-owned price – R292,572
- Value lost – 9.9%
2015 BMW 320d Auto
- Price when new – R472,000
- Average pre-owned price – R262,147
- Value lost – 44.5%
2016 Mercedes-Benz C200 Auto
- Price when new – R521,414
- Average pre-owned price – R321,825
- Value lost – 38.3%
2014 VW Golf 7 GTI Auto
- Price when new – R382,800
- Average pre-owned price – R305,679
- Value lost – 20.1%
2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8GD-6
- Price when new – R569,900
- Average pre-owned price – R514,450
- Value lost – 9.7%
2020 VW Polo Vivo 1.4 Comfortline
- Price when new – R230,900
- Average pre-owned price – R215,660
- Value lost – 6.6%
2018 BMW M140i
- Price when new – R682,500
- Average pre-owned price – R512,715
- Value lost – 24.9%
2015 Isuzu KB 300D-Teq LX 4×4
- Price when new – R549,800
- Average pre-owned price – R255,130
- Value lost – 53.6%