Toyota recently unveiled the Urban Cruiser, an entry-level crossover that is now the most affordable “SUV” that the brand sells.
The Urban Cruiser is a product of an alliance between Toyota and Suzuki, and is very similar to the Suzuki Vitara Brezza – released a few weeks earlier.
Toyota Urban Cruiser specs
The Urban Cruiser was designed to be a fun, affordable compact crossover vehicle, said its makers.
It has a high stance, rugged design elements, and short overhangs to improve off-road performance.
The design is enhanced by six exterior colour options, an optional two-tone roof, and standard roof-rails from the Xs range upwards.
Inside it has black fabric seats, a touchscreen infotainment system, a multifunction steering wheel, Toyota Connect, and segment-leading safety systems.
For power, it gets a 1.5-litre NA petrol motor, and buyers will have the option to select either a 5-speed manual or 4-speed automatic transmission.
This combination delivers 77kW of power and 138Nm of torque, along with a claimed fuel consumption of 6.2l/100km and a top speed of 170km/h.
Drive is sent to the front wheels, and these are dressed in 16-inch alloys for the higher trims – while the cheaper models get steel wheels.
The Urban Cruiser range starts at R247,900 for the Xi trim, and tops out at R315,700 for the Xr spec with an automatic transmission.
All models are sold with a 3-services/45,000 km service plan, and a 3-year/100,000 km warranty.
The R200,000 to R300,000 bracket is a heated segment in South Africa.
Many of the best-selling passenger cars from 2020 can be found here, and multiple new vehicles launched in 2021 also fall in this bracket.
Additionally, the Suzuki Vitara Brezza is not doing Toyota any favours by being priced slightly lower while offering a better warranty.
South African consumers are therefore spoiled for choice – and the competitors going up against the Toyota Urban Cruiser can be found below.
- Price – R297,400 – R393,600
- Power – 91-92kW/150-170Nm
- Warranty – 4-year/120,000km comprehensive warranty, 3-year/unlimited kilometre roadside assistance, and a 4-year/60,000km service plan.
- Price – R294,900 – R354,900
- Power – 105kW/202Nm
- Warranty – 5-year/100,000km warranty, 5-year/unlimited kilometre roadside assistance, and a 5-year/60,000km service plan.
- Price – R289,900 – R319,900
- Power – 66kW/110Nm
- Warranty – 5-year/200,000km warranty, 4-year/60,000km service plan, and 3-year/unlimited kilometre roadside assistance.
- Price – R297,500 – R401,500
- Power – 88kW/172Nm
- Warranty – 5-year/150,000km manufacturer warranty with an additional 2-year/50,000km powertrain warranty, 7-year/150,000km roadside assistance, and a 3-year/45,000km service plan.
- Price – R254,999 – R346,999
- Power – 81-86kW/200-300Nm
- Warranty – 5-year/150,000km warranty, and a 5-year/90,000km service plan.
- Price – R324,900 – R399,900
- Power – 60-81kW/118-205Nm
- Warranty – 3-year/120,000km warranty, and a 3-year/60,000km service plan.
- Price – R289,900 – R374,900
- Power – 66-84kW/156-260Nm
- Warranty – 5-year/150,000km mechanical warranty, and a 3-year/45,000km service plan.
Suzuki Vitara Brezza
- Price – R244,900 – R309,900
- Power – 77kW/138Nm
- Warranty – 5-year/200,000km warranty, and a 4-year/60,000km service plan